Row of harbour cottages from an original artwork by (c) C.Rowe 2010

Tuesday 6 July 2010

left handed life



Two weeks ago yesterday I broke my right (drawing hand) wrist and have been in a cast since. After the shock of not being able to use my right hand to do any of the things i'd usually do, having taken for granted these things for 29 years, i've been learning to use my under-used left side (I have most definately been right sided dominant).

It has been the most unusual and frustrating experience, marks, lines, shading that I would have normally expected to or were used to making using my right hand I couldn't reproduce with my left. I have had to go back to nursery school and learn to write and draw all over again.

Until I can cut up fabric again with a pair of scissors ( I could go out and buy a left-handed pair) i'm just sticking to practicing and playing with pen and ink.

The images above are my first attempts at drawing and colouring with my left hand... it's been akward, annoying and very frustrating but some how rewarding in the end as I hope through the process of using my left side more, to become a more even and balanced creative person.

2 comments:

  1. hey - i love these left handed drawings they have real character and freedom :) xsx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sian, i've found it both frustrating and liberating making these drawings. I'm delighted you love them.

    ReplyDelete